Monday 12 August 2013

A Book Review

Reading on Location



Because I'm a bookaholic I have to have something to read, whereever I go. And, personally, I think travel is much improved by reading a book set in the location I'm visiting. The best experience I had with this was when I read Dune in the Sinai - strange, given that Dune is set on another planet, but there you go.

 image from Science Fiction Lit 
But I'm not going to the Sinai, I'm going to Europe. So here's my first book review:

Title: Reading on Location
Author(s): Luisa Moncada and Scala Quin

Review: This is a great way to read around the world, with a comprehensive lists of books to chose from. When movies have been made, they are also noted. It's small and easy to navigate, clear and well-written

 HOWEVER:

  • it's print, so it goes out of date quickly
  • it's not available on kindle which is crazy, given that duh, it will be read by travellers.
  • it doesn't cover smaller towns/villages. For example, I'm going to Nijmegen, in Holland, one of Holland's oldest cities with, I'm sure, a longstanding literary tradition.  But there's nothing listed for Nijmegen

So if you want something for a really specific region, best use google.

Or try these blogs:



image from Beatties Book Blog




No comments:

Post a Comment